Miniature Double-Bow Embellishment Tutorial
How to make ribbon embellishments for decorating cross stitch ornaments
Try this! These ribbons have tiny bell-like beads that add extra interest to the bow. They are just perfect for embellishing cross stitched ornaments and they only take about a few minutes to make!
Featured here is one of the ornaments of Barbara Ana's More Christmas ornaments (series 2)
Supplies for the ribbon ornament
- 22 inch extra fine (1/8 inch, 3mm) satin (or organdi) ribbon
- 4 small gold beads: either with a hole just wide enough to thread the ribbon through or smaller beads (which will be glued).
- a needlethreader if threading the ribbon through (ideally an extra long one such as the ones used for punchneedle embroidery) or glue.
- optional: extra mini embellishments such as bells
- needle and sewing thread in matching color
- a sewing pin, a piece of scrap cardboard, sharp scissors
1. Cut Ribbon and attach bead onto the ribbon:
Cut 2 lengths of ribbon, a longer one 12 inch long (30cm) and a shorter one 9 1/2 inch (24cm).
Attach beads to tips of ribbon using either method:
- A. Needlethreader: slip needlethreader through bead, then ribbon through the tip of needlethreader. Pull back through bead. Make a tiny knot at the end of the ribbon, Pull tight so knot hides inside the bead. Trim ends of ribbon at an angle.
- B. Glue: glue bead on one side of the ribbon. Trim ends flush.
2. Pin ribbon in place:
Pierce the cardboard with the pin and place it on a table, the tip of the pin facing you.
Slip the longer ribbon onto the pin, exactly in its center.
Form a bow and slip both ends again onto the pin.
Repeat with shorter lenghth of ribbon.
3. Secure bow and attach to ornament:
Prepare a length of sewing thread with a knot at the end.
Lift the bow off the pin, holding it together in your left hand.
Sew together the layers of ribbon in the center of the bow.
Sew onto ornament, adding any other embellishments of your choice.
Here's the Double-Bow embellishing Barbara Ana's Christmas Biscornu. Ain't it cute?
We hope you have a lot of fun creating these pretty embellishments!
The Creative Poppy team
If you enjoyed this Creative Poppy Tutorial and made some great ornaments, do send us a picture. We would love to have your feedback and see all the great projects you made. Thanks!
>> see all Ideas and Tutorials for Christmas ornaments
Ornaments to cross stitch
The patterns featured in this tutorial are:
- More Christmas Ornaments (series2), by Barbara Ana Designs
- Christmas biscornu, by Barbara Ana Designs
>> see all christmas ornaments
>> see all biscornus patterns